Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Ultimate Gift


My friend Brandi let me borrow this movie last week and I finally got a chanced to watch it last night. I was so impressed that I think I'm going to buy it. It is a clean movie, I think the only bad thing was a girl in a short dress, and it taught some really good values. I completely recommend it although some of you might think it's boring. I really liked it though. It was quite a change from the movie "The Proposal" that I went to see last Friday. Although it has a funny story line there are a few VERY inappropriate scenes and I found myself being very grateful that Josh wasn't with me.
It's such a bummer the lack of good clean movies there are out there, especially when you love to watch them like me. If you can recommend any clean ones let me know. I hope that you enjoy " The Ultimate Gift." It's one you can actually watch with your kids in the room.

5 comments:

  1. is this the one where they have another little girl to give body parts to the sister who is dying of cancer? I haven't seen that one, but just the commercials make me think. is it okay- would you guys do that? How far is too far? I am not sure I would PURPOSELY try to have another kid so they would be a bone marrow donor or a kidney match, but if my kids were a match? Would i encourage one of the kids I already have to donate body parts? Probably- but what if they didn't want to, or were to young to understand? I don't know- any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, "The Ultimate Gift," while clean and smothered in heart-felt emotion, was one of the cheesiest movies I have ever seen. That doesn't mean I think it was bad . . . just cheesy. Jen, you are thinking of "My Sister's Keeper."

    My opinion on creating a child so that you can harvest body parts from them: YOU CAN'T FORCEFULLY TAKE ANY BODY PART/FLUID FROM A PERSON. If this were real, the family would probably need court approval to extract anything from the other child. The court would appoint a guardian ad litem for the child who would determine if the child would consent were he/she an adult able to make the decision. It may be that the court would say that the child would consent: It is fairly non-invasive and saves the child's sister's life. HOWEVER . . . the court may decide that the child would not consent because it enforces the idea that they were not created out of love and are a commodity rather than a person.

    I would never do what they did. That is not fair to the other kid that the ONLY reason they were created was to save the other kid. Ethically, I don't think it is wrong, because there are standards in place to protect the child. Morally, I think it pushes to far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME- love having the law prof. sound in. I didn't even think about it from a law prospective. I just seems weird that you would purposely try to have a kid to save one- kind of like us buying the exact same van so we could use up the "good" parts from the old van before dumping it (which we really are doing). Was that a true story, or someone's kind of sad twisted imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, your thinking og the movie "My Sisters Keeper" I haven't seen the movie but the Book is very very good. I couldn't put it down. I know Hayley really liked it too. It has the "Bad Word " in it a few times, but not many. It is definitly one to read.

    ReplyDelete