Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic


Ashamed I am not. I enjoyed this film. I think any film that can keep me laughing consistently throughout must be worth it, even if it is about an obsessive shopper trying to land the hunky editor of her magazine. I unabashedly had a good time.

I'll start with the bad (I am good at that). The character development for all but Isla Fisher was poor. I barely even knew who the main squeeze was before he and Fisher hooked up. Additionally, the entire idea of securing a position as a writer in a nationally syndicated magazine with a drunken letter is hilarious (not in a good way). Finally, a couple of characters were a bit extreme (darn desire for realism).

BUT, it was a comedy, and it was supposed to be silly and outlandish. AND, I am getting better at opening my horizons to new and different genres, including Credit Card Fetishism. Lines like "I need these gloves because . . . I HAVE HANDS" bring a smile to my face. And an airhead slapping a Finnish man? That's funny stuff. I also appreciate that the movie was rated PG and I didn't have to worry about the content.

Men, be proud to watch this movie . . . but maybe not alone.

7 comments:

  1. How do you have time to do movies with 2 small kids. I have 3 semi-kids and 1 small kid and can barely make it through a Burn Notice espisode. The movie does look cute, although I am not sure I can convince Blair to watch it. Sounds like a fun girls night movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good husband. Trying to get Josh to watch a chick flick with me is like trying to pull teeth. It does look like a fun movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Josh needs to get in touch with his inner chick . . . flick . . . lover. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here again Greg and I are alike. I quite enjoy chick flicks, and you'd better bet that will score me a hot wife some day.


    Go me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Jeff is sometimes terrible to watch a chick flick with, but not always. But I have been trying to get him to watch PS I love you, which is one of my favorite movies. Yeah ... there is no way. But he does have his favorites "chick flicks" so he's not completely hopeless. It just depends on his moods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blair will watch a chick- flick comedy, but not the sappy love story. I actually think he deleted my "Pride and Prejudice from our DVR! What Women Want (with Mel Gibson) is one that we both love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :o) I love What Women Want, I think its not a too sapy chick movie... I think its got just the right amount of comedy and ... chick flick-ie-ness. haha.

    ReplyDelete