Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wiki


No, not as in "Wiki" the sound a record makes when a DJ scratches it. Wiki as in an online community where individuals contribute to content. I am talking about sites like www.wikipedia.com (how unfortunate for you if you have not yet experienced the glories of Wikipedia).

After we had Emiline and while feeding her in the middle night, I found that I had a lot of extra time and not a lot of moving space or light to do anything in. We have a laptop, so at first I would just sit and surf the web for an hour while Emiline ate. Then, I learned the joys of wiki.

I started off with Wikipedia. I would do little things like edit grammar in an article or rearrange sentence structure. Then I began building my own pages, as evidenced here.

In the past few months, I have gotten burned out with family history. I guess I had looked at one too many census. Then I remembered that there was a glorious family history wiki that was beckoning me. I have since been very involved in creating pages (mostly about cemeteries in Virginia) as evidenced here.

The code takes some experimenting and getting used to, but I love being able to compile a database of family history information that may be useful to somebody somewhere. And yes, it appears that I have way to much time on my hands.

Check out the wiki at Family Search Research Wiki.

4 comments:

  1. Greg,
    How on earth do you have time for this stuff- are you not sleeping at night? IF not, call me around 2:00 my time- 4:00 your time. Good money says I'll be up too and we can discuss all the fine points about what kind of drivel is on t.v. in the middle of the night! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have reread your post several times, and am I understanding correctly that you WRITE stuff for wiki- I read through the Hillcrest Article, is that yours? Can people do that? How do we know the information is correct if random people are writing it, do they verify information? TRUELY AWESOME if you did write that- I always knew that you were smart, but I am now seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to amaze me. Remind me never to have to meet you in court some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were playing scrabble yesterday, and Brooke was coming up with some ineresting words. We all were wishing you were with us, Greg, so we could have you on our team. Blair dares you to use "Untirededness" in a court brief someplace. Said it would be worth good money to him to see you do that. HA!

    ReplyDelete