Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Professional Photos for Everyone

Jennifer sent me a picture of one of her clients requesting that I do some Photoshopping of it. I had done it for her on several occasions, and each time I thought, "I wonder if I could market this skill?" I have now attempted to do that.

I created a website called Professional Photos for Everyone designed to allow people to send me their pictures, allow me to doctor them in whatever way they want, and pay me for the finished product. You can see the website here.

Now, I need your advise on a few things:

1. Is this really a service people would use? Would anyone really want to do this? I can see it being more for the person who has one photo that they want to make look nice for a special occasions, but will people even be willing to do it for that? Would you pay for it?

2. Is it too difficult of a process? E-mail me photos, I fix them, send you previews, you pick which ones you want and then pay for them. Will people even go through the trouble? Would you go through the trouble?

3. Are people really going to trust me? Will they be willing to send their pictures to a complete stranger?

4. Is this too much exposure of pictures of my family? I tried to suppress any identifying information, but do I really want photos of my children on this business website?

In the end, it costs nothing for me except the time that I took to build the site. Feel free to post a link to my site on your blog (look to the right for a link on this blog). You can use the picture found here, post it in your sidebar and create a link for it (if you add a picture gadget, it is really easy to do).

I need your input! Tell me what you think!

11 comments:

  1. The only way to see if is something that people want is to try it. For someone like me who is technilogically disadvantaged it is something that I would use. I think that you are too cheap on your prices. While it may not be hard or difficult, it does take time and you should be paid for your time. Finally, being in banking, I was always concerned about the exposure that my kids had for fear of kidnapping. While I would not be concerned about that for your kids, I do not think that I would want that much exposure. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog is doing crazy things- I can't read what mom wrote because the background is white too. SO- not knowing what the reponse all ready is, here is my ever so unprofessional opinion. I personally would use you for the litho and the color focus. Even the most basic photo programs allow me to sharpen and filter to b/w or sepia. I would also love to have a vigneete put on- i can do basic ones, but can't determine exactly where it goes. I would think that if you could find a way to market it to the "normal" person, you could actually do some business. How are you going to take payment, and how do you prevent someone from cut and pasting the samples you sent them rather then paying for them? Could you put a great big COPY across the front of the samples? LOVE IT! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that your gmail acount reads like FEMAlE- I know it's not spelled that way, but as I was reading it I had to step back and rethink that it was an accronym- i thought it was pp(feamil)not ppfe(mail)@. Am I making any sense? Am i just weird and a girl that I noticed that and it took me by surprise? If I thought you were a girl doing the editing, it wouldn't have even fazed me. It must be too early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to post last night and it didn't work, we'll see if this works now. My biggest concern was marketing. Sure, the program is free, but how much time and money would you spend trying to make it proffitable. You'd have to target a scrap booking audience, because I don't think the lay person really cares too much about having their average photo turn out picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, here's what I think. If this is something you like doing, then do it anyway! No matter how profitable it is, you will enjoy doing it and the people you help, no matter how many, will be grateful. If you are doing to it make money, you may end up overjoyed at the reults but you may end up disappointed. The only complication I can think of might be the transactions costs. How is someone going to pay you? I assume you would utilize pay-pal or some other online payment form, but this might bcome cumbersome and time consuming for someone who is only spending fifty cents or a dollar. But, like usual, I don't offer any solutions....sorry. I do, however, think it is a great idea. So many people have great ideas or passions but give up o nthem because of the uncertainties. Go for it! What have you got to lose! Give it your all and be proud of it! And one more thing. All I know is that your web site made me miss Greg's family alot. Anyone want to go to Virginia with me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll come to Virginia with you!!!!
    -Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to come to virginia too! Maybe if Mike and I planned it at the same time- and Alisha wants to come also- we need a family reunion in VA...Any takers? Speaking of family vacations- I think we're going to try to do Disney Land this spring and would love to have some company. We've done vacations w/ Blair's side before and it's a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'd love to. I've got a lot of competing interest for my big spending next year, but I'll consider it. I have to plan for an internship in DC, and Mike and I wanted to try pulling a big cross-continental vacation too. . . who knows what will actually happen. Let us know dates so we can plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greg, appreciative,October 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    Thanks for all your wonderful advice. I think Mike is right, I enjoy doing it and s I might as well keep the site up even if I don't get a lot of business.

    Cross-continental? Do you mean Brazil?

    And anyone who wants is welcome to come to Virginia to see us . . . free hotel and food, just got to pay the air fare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry your pants, I'll be there plenty over the summer while I'm in DC, and, if you do come to Vegas, I'll come to visit you, and I think Mike and Jeff will too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. its a good idea! how ever if you are going to present youself as a proffesional I would keep your family photos out (for now starting out is fine) and I would also watch the red eye. but all in all im impressed at your motivation to do something new and take a risk -jeff-

    ReplyDelete