Friday, September 18, 2009

Canning Season


I just finished canning some peaches, and now I am moving on to pears. I anticipate that my tomatoes are going to be ready to make salsa and chili sauce in the next week or so, and if I can steal some apples from mom and dad, I'll throw a bunch of apple sauce into jars. I have also started canning my chicken (GROSS, huh!) and am toying with the idea of throwing a couple of roasts into jars to see how that goes. I remember HATING all those hours snapping beans and cutting up fruit. I still don't get much enjoyment out of the actual canning process, but I do get satisfaction when i see the jars all lined up. I am starting to feel like a squirrel, hiding all the nuts I can find in my crawl space....hmmmm, I wonder if I could go find nuts to store?

7 comments:

  1. So that lady who posted on here before, there is nothing to worry about. I went onto her blog and kindly asked her to not post on blogs of people she doesn't know. Blasted people. Whatever happened to common courtesy.......but canning is great! Brian and I are still benefiting from peachers that I'm pretty sure were canned in 1990! Still good! Thanks mom for the great example and Jen for carrying it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, next you could try entire meals. Lasagna? Chicken pot pie? Then you could start canning small immigrant families and start a profitable human trafficking business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Ryan Bean!! The very thought! 1990 was almost twenty years ago. Fruit and veg. canned are only good for about four years. Then OUT it goes!! So Jenny, I'm very excited for you. I know how hard it is, and I know the joy of seeing all those sparkling jars in a row and thinking "Now my family truely won't starve."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriousely- do you think I could can an entire meal? Maybe I could make $$$$ and pay off my student loans! What ever it is, it would have to withstand the pressure cooker- I wonder if you could can stew (why though, since you can buy it?) The size of jars for immigrant families would be cost prohibitive, unless I focused soley on the dwarfs of that particular country...but something tells me my business would be very limited. MAYBE we could ship them by body part to be reassembled at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks mike for going over to that ladies blog. What was she selling- trying to move up the google hot line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, the memories of helping Mom can when I wanted to be anywhere but in that kitchen. Now, as a mom, I wish that I would have paid closer attention. All of your comments on this blog make me laugh!! You make my day happier and I'm glad your my brothers and sisters!!!

    ReplyDelete