Sunday, September 1, 2013

Family History Blog - Yes Indeed

Okay people, I love family history.  And I have talked with several people in the family that want to get involved, but aren't sure where to start.  I was so lucky to have had so many family history classes in college, but understand that it can be daunting and mind boggling.

With that in mind, I have started a blog (beanfamilyhistory.blogspot.com) that is intended to inform us of our family history and be a place that we can all go to collaborate, find new research projects, and learn more about our family.  Here are the main purposes of the blog:

1) Present ready made projects that people can complete
2) Have general informational tips and guides to completing family history
3) Post stories and fun facts about our family history

The best way to see how the blog works is to just go and cruise around.  The biggest tool is going to be the labels on the right hand side.  However, I will explain just what each part of the blog are and how I envision that they will be useful:

LABELS

I have four different types of labels: Project types, project locations, family names, guides

Project types

This I think will be the most useful tool for helping you find a research project that fits your liking.  I have five different project labels, as follows:

  • Projects: All  - Clicking on this will list every single project, regardless of the type
  • Projects: Documents - This deals with research where you will be analyzing actual documents, rather than purely online research; these may require you to order film from the family history library (or if you are in SLC, just go there); it may also involve general document collection (which could include some online research)
  • Projects: Go and Do - These projects get you out of the house and exploring! You could be going to graveyards, old residences, work places, etc.  Bring your camera and a pad of paper!
  • Projects: Online Research - These projects require only an internet connection and some idea of where to go poking around
  • Projects: Temple Names - These projects are likely to produce names of individuals that do not have their temple work yet (note, however, that the purpose of all these projects is to find people to baptize; often you have to poke around what you already know to find hidden gems that were overlooked by others during original research)

Project locations

If there is a tag with a location, that means that it is a "Go and Do" project that will require you to travel to said location.  Right now, I just have Denver, but that should grow as we go along

Family Names

Click on a name to find projects regarding that surname and any stories, documents, or other blog posts about the family!

Guides

These are just little tips I think could be helpful in your search

LINKS

I have links to important websites as well as a link to the Excel File of my massive source log.

PLEASE CALL ME! I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS AND GET YOUR IDEAS! COMMENT! CRITICIZE! I WOULD LOVE THIS TO WORK, SO I WOULD LOVE YOURE FEEDBACK!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this very much! Thanks for hard work and love for family history and your desire to learn teach others

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. I have tried to get involved and would love to do more ,this will be a great tool for me to work on!

    ReplyDelete