Sunday, August 25, 2013

Family History



I am interested to know how the family feels about family history.  I am interested in:

1) Whether or not you are interested in family history (it's okay if you are not);
2) What kind of family history you are engaged in; and
3) What challenges you find in doing (or starting) family history work.

I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below, through a phone call, an e-mail, whatever.

There are several types of family history one can be engaged in.  The most common type people think of is research, but there are many other avenues.  This is a list of types of family history I could think of:

1) Researching unknown information in your line

This can be done in multiple different says, from online records search to interviewing living family members to visiting grave yards.  This is probably the most immediately rewarding type of family history as you instantly gather data that no one has compiled before.  Additionally, when you find a certain amount of data, you can submit names for the temple.

2) Confirming information that doesn't have a source

Our line is littered with individuals and information that have not yet been confirmed in our line.  Our predecessors did a great deal of work.  Unfortunately, the record keeping was not completed.  This type of research involves looking at our online tree, finding unsourced information, and attempting to locate the documents from which that information came.  While it may feel useless, it is important for laying the groundwork for the first type of research.  Additionally, there are a number of times where I have been performing this type of family history and have unearthed an unknown sibling or some other person.  In fact, while doing this information, I found out that our great grandfather was illegitimate and that we had been using the completely wrong line for his mother.

3) Compiling data of already confirmed sources

I love this kind of work (mostly because I love lists and Excel sheets and data compilation), but it is incredibly tedious.  For years I have been compiling every original source of information I have into one giant log.  I am doing this so that I can correct inaccuracies and make doing the first two types of family history easier.  I have catalogued all of our ancestors through alphabetically through the letter G. Brian and Stephani have helped some in this process.

4) Collecting data from current generations

This type of family history is so important.  There is a wealth of knowledge that those living around us have that just cannot be found anywhere else.  This is also an easy way to do family history without having to know the inns and outs of the England Death Registry (or other obscure records).  The most obvious place to start would be to record and transcribe interviews with Mom and Dad, but other steps would be finding other individuals (aunts and uncles, for example), organizing interviews, gathering pictures, etc.  

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love family history. We were consultants in Alaska and learned tons. My problem is the compiling stuff that's already been found. I find it terribly boring. I love the research and the confirming and the collecting. I have no time. I also have a hard time with the electronics. I much rather have everything spread out all over in front of me on paper. I love the group sheets and things that I can trace over with my fingers and see years and years all at once. Also, if I have someone else directing me what to do it makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be more interested in family history than I am, especially since my dad is a convert, so there's tons of work to be done for his ancestors. But I've always kind of just assumed there wasn't much for me to do, because he and my brother were super into it, and even traced one of our lines back to Adam. So honestly, most of my involvement with family history is taking family names (given to me by my dad) to the temple and doing the work for them.
    I think I find the whole process daunting, especially because I don't know really how to start, and I don't get how all the online programs work. I do enjoy indexing though, probably because I can spend as much or as little time on it as I want. So I at least feel like I'm contributing a little to that kind of thing.
    I do like the idea of visiting graveyards to get info, so when you have the Colorado information for us, Mike and I will definitely take care of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like family history, and actually started doing it several years ago but as kids have come I have had less and less time to do it. I do feel like my kids are old enough now so I can get started on in again but truthfully I don't know where to start. The next time you come Greg I want you to sit down with me and show me how to do things, please. Then I can work on it with you.

    ReplyDelete