Thursday, May 2, 2013

Netflix

 Some on you were asking for a review of Netflix, and since I LOOOOVVVVEEEE T.V. (and all things that go with it), I thought I would give you my opinion.
 Netflix, I believe, cost $8.00/month.  To me, it is the best $8 dollars spent in a month (except maybe the $8 spent at McDonalds).  Greg and I have very basic cable, because we don't feel the need to spend $50 a month on programming that is mostly garbage.  Instead we spend $16 a month for netflix and Hulu Plus, and between the two, it satisfies my television viewing needs.  Let me give you a run down of the pros of Netflix, and then you can see if it is right for you.

Netflix:

1. I think Netflix streams great shows.  I am a fan of all types of shows: Comedy, drama, thriller. etc.  I love to watch shows that I have watched when I was a kid, without having to buy the DVDs.  For example:  I loved Saved by the Bell (mock me all you want, but you know you watched it, too).  Netflix has the entire series (commercial and ad free).  Do I want to watch the episode where Zack catches Kelly's boyfriend, Jeff, cheating on her at The Attic?  Yes I do.  And with one click of my remote I get to watch Kelly find out that Jeff is a cheating scum bag (I knew it!).
    Not a Saved by the Bell fan?  There are countless shows, including ones that have seasons currently showing on Network television.  Do you like the show Parenthood (if you have not seen it, you should), Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Bones, Downton Abbey, SNL, AFV, etc.?  Catch up on the series with all the previous seasons.  Do have a hankering to have a 24 marathon?  Watch any season of Jack Bauer get out alive, even though it was a 200 to 1 shoot out.  I have heard that the show Friday Night Lights is Amazing.  All 5 seasons are on Netflix.    Prison Break, is an amazingly addictive show, and all 4 seasons are on it.  You will never get bored with Netflix.

2.  It has tons of shows for kids.  Annabelle only likes one show: Curious George.  Unfortunately, PBS only plays it once a day.  I need Annabelle to leave me alone more than once a day.  What do I do?  Start up Netflix, and put Curious George on.  I have been told that it has been scientifically proven that Super Why and Dora help your child's brain development.  Every season of both shows are on Netflix. On Sundays we put on Veggies Tales, and Larry the cucumber teaches my kids bible stories while Greg and I nap.

3.  It has reasonably good movies.

4.  Documentaries.  Do you like Shark Week?  Ever wonder how the secret service works or how are country can possibly support solitary confinement?  Do you like Myth Busters?  There is a documentary for everyone.

Anyways, I hope this helps.  I have found that current television programming is getting worse and worse, and I feel with Netflix that I can watch shows that are clean and highly entertaining.  For $96/year (I couldn't even buy three seasons of The Office for that much) I get a wide range of programming anytime I want it.  But then again, I would pay $8/month for Curious George.  Hope this helps!


5 comments:

  1. Actually Greg said it well the reason that we have netfilx. We're never going to get cable so it gives a selection of good clean shows that I can monitor. We've had it for a couple of years now and have really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Greg (Hayley actually wrote the post, but for some reason it registers under my name). I like Netflix for the pure fact that it assisted me in discovering Troll Hunters. Oh, and the selection of Children's shows (not just Cartoon Network garbage) is fantastic. Plus, they get blockbusters on there every once in a while, too (Iron Man, Thor, True Grit, Super 8, etc.). It's a trade off from not having cable, but I think a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really would miss my normal shows... but maybe w/ just basic cable. Hmmm. Can you watch cooking shows? Discovery Channel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our basic cable gives us the food network, but no discovery channels. They have mythbusters and some other shows, lots of other science stuff, but not most of the Discovery Channel shows.

      Delete
  4. I'm still not quite convinced - Mike and I are just not ready to pay for TV (we spent a one-time 20 bucks on an old school bunny ears antenna set, and we get all the channels we need with that, and we just check movies out from the library), but I totally see the value of something more if you have kids. So when that time comes we will probably take the plunge. This post was very persuasive though. My sister has been telling us to get Netflix for months, but this comes closer than she ever has to convincing us.

    ReplyDelete