Monday, August 30, 2010

8/28 in Washington D.C



I was impressed to hear and watch how amazing the weekend in DC must have been. 500,000 people gathered on the Mall, crowds stretching a mile long, and not ONE arrest. It's amazing to see so many people get together with one thought- return to honor. As he promised, it wasn't a political rally. His goal was not to have God on our side, but to have us be on God's side. I have been watching the reports on it today, and I wish that I had been there!! Listening to that many people recite the pledge was inspiring- can you imagine participating in that, the amazing spirit that must have been there!

I was especially moved to hear that Martin Luther King Jr's niece was one of the main speakers. It was equally inspiring to see the pictures of rabbi's and African American preachers, pastors and imam's, all linking arms, people of all different faiths and religions coming together.

Sad though, our president didn't bother to watch, and when asked about it this was his comment

"I did not watch the rally. Given all those anxieties, and given the fact that you aren't going to fix any of those situations over night, it not surprising that a person like Mr. Beck can stir up a certain portion of our country." I don't post this to cause comment, because I can almost guarantee that my state rep would be saying the same thing. I only state it to illustrate how tragic it has become that so many of our Representatives and leaders don't find value with what the majority of people in this country believe.

5 comments:

  1. Firm Reliance on Divine Providence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, what is this about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally wish that I could have been there too!! It would have been inspiring and I hope that it got other people thinking about the future of our country and the way that we want it to be not the government. It is sad that our leader doesn't bother to listen to the people. I guess we know where we stand in his eyes. I'm glad Glenn Beck is strong though and willing to do things like this to get peoples attention. Thanks for posting this Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Steph, Glenn Beck has been planning this rally for months. He asked for everyone that could attend to come to Washing DC in hopes that the people's voice might be heard again in Washington. Did I miss anything Jen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a completely UN-political rally. Basically he was hoping to inspire people to return to God and be on his side, working together- all religions- to help better our country. The title of it was "return to honor", hoping to inspire us to become an honorable people. The quote at the top "Firm Reliance on Divine Providence" was the title of his speech, but I just think it's a great quote to live by.

    ReplyDelete