Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chips

I love Tortilla chips with Salsa.

However, I love being healthy, so I hate buying regular Tortilla chips.

Additionally, I am cheap as dirt, so I hate buying baked Tortilla chips.

So, I have learned how to bake my own Tortilla chips. It is disastrously simple:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Cut up corn tortillas
  3. Place on a cooking sheet
  4. Spray a little cooking spray on
  5. Sprinkle with salt (and pepper, or whatever else you like)
  6. Bake for 11 Minutes (you may have to test different times to get the right crispiness)

That is it! It doesn't take long and your body and wallet will feel fantastic.

Here is the breakdown of the money and calories saved. Even when compared to the BAKED Tostitos, you are saving money and calories:

Baked Tostitos Scoops:

240 Calories
6 g Fat
1 g Sat. Fat
44 G. Carbs
32 cents per ounce

Homemade chips

90 Calories
1 g Fat
0 g Sat. Fat
18 G Carbs
8 cents per ounce

7 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to try this sometime! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. Dinner's coming. Can you please learn how to make Cheetos, Twinkies, and Tootsie Rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW. So I have to admit that I don't really like the baked tostitos because they taste a little like card board. Please tell me that these taste better because josh and I love chips but man my body doesn't. Thanks for the good tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow awesome! I'm gonna have to try this out! Any other creative idea's?!!! I need them! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound so good, and yet- knowing myself- I am would walk through the store wanting to make them...would get so overwhelmed at the thought and the work...and would just go buy them. Someday I hope to be as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok we are making them right now! I have leftover guacamole from some cafe rio I made over last weekend (I'll have to post it for Hayley, cuz its pretty close to the real deal!) Anyways Jeff wanted to eat it with chips, but alas, I we dont have any and I dont feel like driving out to the store. luckily we have left over Tortilla's. So I'll let ya'll know how this turns out :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, first batch we did for 11 mins, burnt them pretty badly... guess we should have watched them. Second batch did for 5 mins, ... PERFECT! and Stephanie, they are amazing! Thanks sooo much for introducing this to us!!! I think that we are going to try to make our own chips from now on. THANK YOU! :D

    ReplyDelete