Monday, July 19, 2010

Opinion Requested

I know that we are all in different walks of life, so I am interested in seeing where we all sound in on my latest dilemma

Brooke wants to try out for a community play this fall. She LOVES the theatre (she's currently in her 3rd play w/ this same theatre). BUT the play this fall isn't just a kids play, it involves adults. I seriously doubt that Brooke would get a role, but she really really wants to try. Here's the rub. The try outs are on a Sunday and along with 5 other shows, there is one show on a Sunday. We wouldn't have to miss church. We haven't let our kids play many sports here in Missoula because all of the games are on Sunday (Brant will most likely miss out on playing baseball past 5th grade for this very reason...and he LOVES baseball!), but I feel like a play is different. I am going to call the Director to see about holding a special try out on Sat. or on Monday- and hopefully he'll go for that. Poor Brooke, she's sobbing because it's on Sunday but doesn't even ask or beg if she can go. She has such a sweet spirit and is always trying to make good choices.

Not all of you are parents, and if you are- your kids are too young to have you worried about this...but it is coming. For debate did you ever travel to Nationals on a Sunday? Prepare for it on a Sunday and have meetings w/ your partners? Is there any difference? Just wondering.

Love you guys, thanks for your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Your family is your family and it's a personal decision. Can you let your kids grow up resenting the church or you? But where do the boundaries stop? Will your kids grow up in Mt. without ever having any activities to round them out? Better move to Twin Falls. No one is judging you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a personal decision, but in my personal decision, Sundays are sacred and nothing should touch that. God said keep the sabbath day holy. More blessings will come by respecting the Sabbath day than by breaking it once. I realize I am being a strict constructionalist in this, but I can't argue with blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough one Jen. I really hope they'll do a tryout another day for her. I think it's a matter between you and the Lord. Yes, sunday is a holy day and should be kept that but there also may be some amazing missionary opportunities that the Lord wants you to be involoved in. Take it to him and he'll let you know what's right and if it's not this He'll help you find something that does work. It almost made me cry when I read about Brooke being devestated that it was on sunday but didn't beg to go. She is one good girl Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure I agree. Does God allow us to break commandments for potential missionary opportunities?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I was thinking that performing in a play and playing sports were two different things but Josh just informed me that when it comes to sunday anything that takes us away from focusing on the savior or serving others shouldn't be done. And I really do believe that as well. It's just so hard that things are that way in this world. I think your best bet is to talk to the director and see if you can work something out, but stay firm in what you are teaching her because if you don't it could come back to bite you in the bum. I love ya Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what's been said - it's a personal decision. Decide what you think is right, and then make sure you're consistent in sticking to that policy (which I think is the hardest part sometimes).
    I feel for Brooke though - I love theatre, and I've had experiences similar to this before. It's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so proud of you all and your unshakable faith! The kids are young now and very impressionable. They will remember this always and do you want them to remember fudging on Sundays? Love Mom

    ReplyDelete