Sunday, June 21, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince


I didn't read Harry Potter until I met Hayley. Hayley loves Harry Potter, so I decided to read the entire series behind her back to surprise her. I surprised myself as well. I am not a big fantasy fan. I had an incredibly difficult time with The Lord of the Rings (never finished) and just find it difficult to accept worlds that don't exist.

Harry Potter is different to me. Maybe it is because I have seen my wife's love for it, but I enjoy reading the books. I just finished Book 6 in preparation for the movie and enjoyed it. I liked it this time around better because I could skim parts that don't lend themselves to the plot of the book and only read what I found interesting (another thing I don't like about books: Unnecessary and uninteresting side plots).

The last 200 pages of this book, like any book should, were fun to read and kept me up until midnight (the sign of a good book). I am interested now to see how the movie adapts the book. I am very wary, however: I think they did a thoroughly boring job of Order of the Phoenix and it is the same director. Either way, we will be up at midnight, barring being in the delivery room, on July 15 to watch the movie.

1 comment:

  1. What if Oliver is already here- does he come with you? And what do you do with Emiline? I made blair come with me for the last movie- we were in Missouri at his company sales meeting. Needless to say, we were bleary eyed and tired at the next days meeting, but it was great fun! I really can't wait for this one, but don't know who I can con into watching the kids...and do I take dane or hope that he stays asleep while I am gone?

    Equally, I am kind of excited to see the new Transformers. Didn't think I would like the first one, but it wasn't half bad!

    ReplyDelete