Thursday, February 25, 2010

Evolution Vs. Intelligent Design


I have watched a facebook discussion for the past couple of days and it has got me thinking about the debate that the world has with intelligent design vs. evolution. I have opinions of my own, but I don't think that i could find scripture or books to back them up. I also know that I have some brilliant debater brothers out there whose opinion I ould be interested in hearing. It seems like there is a pretty strong dividing line- if you believe in God then you believe in the creation and if you are an atheist then you believe in evolution. I don't think that either side is going to convince the other to jump ship. BUT I have another thought. I happen to think that there is merit to both theories. I would propose that Heavenly Father has to follow natural laws also and while I certainly don't think we came from monkeys, I do think that there was a natural evolution and design to the creation of our world. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Before all of the evidence supporting evolution appeared, I would venture that most Christians held the firm belief that the creation was literal and that theories of evolution contradicted with Christianity.

    As more and more evidence came forth, I think that we generally adapted our belief to explain for the overwhelming scientific evidence. Now, we can comfortably fit evolution into our beliefs. HOWEVER? How do we find an explanation for the evidence of the evolution of man (i.e. skulls, skeletons, etc.). If we accept all the other scientific evidence, how can we easily discard this evidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't discard the evidence, we just realize that Adam was a really ugly guy!

    I attended a fireside w/ pres. Hinkley and he talked about how as the final days approach the "choice" spirits are now coming down. he talked about how we were the most valiant and strongest. He also pointed out that if we look through history we are also becoming a more beautiful people, a taller people. He indicated that was part of being the valiant spirits in the final days. I don't want to insult Adam, but maybe he really wasn't a pleasant man. Maybe the bones we've found are of people with genetic defects- it probably happened with so few genes in that pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attending the temple should clear up any wonderings about human evolution. The video doesn't portray Adam and Eve as what someone would call a cave man. They are beautiful and smart and child like. The only evolution going on is congnitive evolution and that I believe is somewhat under the influence of our creator. As for the rest of the animal kingdom we are taught that every animal is created by God. However, the fastest and strongest are more likely to pass their genes on creating a superior race.

    ReplyDelete