Sunday, October 7, 2012

Trollhunters (2011)

Okay, so the list is on the side bar. I will send you an e-mail reminding you when it is your turn. If you can't do it it's cool, we'll just continue! If you want to do it before your date, it's cool, just do it! So, I will begin:

Found-footage films began with the Blair Witch Project. I remember all too well whisperings around school of people wondering whether or not the footage was real and what people should make of it.

Lately, I have noticed that found-footage films have become more popular (11 have been/will be released in 2012). I had never seen such a film, but as I was scrolling through Netflix the other day, I saw one and decided that I would take the plunge into the genre. My maiden voyage into found-footage films began with none other than . . . .


TROLLHUNTER! It was the perfect movie for Hayley to curl up and fall asleep to and for me to unabashedly enjoy.

Trollhunters begins with a filming crew from a local Norwegian college attempting to make a documentary about an alleged bear poacher. However, they quickly find that this poacher is trying to control the population of a different, far more dangerous animal: The troll. The plot rides on the theory that the Norweigan government has been attempting to keep the existence of trolls secret for decades, but that trolls have been popping up around the countryside more frequently, ravaging the land, killing tourists, and snacking on local livestock. The filming crew follow the trollhunter, attempting to discover the reason more trolls are leaving the mountains, all the while being chased by the Feds who are attempting to confiscate the footage.

Okay, it felt silly writing that, and frankly, it felt silly watching it. But, once I got past the initial shock of the first giant troll looking quite ridiculous, I got used to the idea of enjoying a bizarre, clearly untrue found-footage film. The filming was done well and kept the story going nicely. I was afraid that the camera work would be jolting and would point off into space all the time, but that wasn't the case. Additionally, the trolls actually look quite good as the film progresses. 

What would have made the film better is if I had read up on Norwegian troll folklore a bit more before I watched it (seriously, though, who hasn't brushed up on the subject recently). Apparently, the trolls may have looked ridiculous, but they were  based on actual cultural references and artistic depictions of Norwegian troll folklore. The film even pays homage to the Billy Goats Gruff. I also enjoyed that the movie was filmed entirely in Norway. I got to see gorgeous pictures of the Norwegian landscape, small cities tucked into the mountains, and towering fjords. That was fun. (Side note: My mother-in-law loves Norway, but somehow I don't think the would like Trollhunters).

So, overall, I enjoyed myself, especially considering the Halloween season. And, if you decide to watch, at least you'll be able to come on here and mock me afterwards. Oh, and most of the actors are stand-up comedians, so I think it's supposed to be a little silly.

**Caveat: The entire film is in Norwegian, requiring English subtitles. I, however, found listening to the language interesting and I didn't find that it detracted from the movie.

3 comments:

  1. I actually love foreign films with English subtitles. I HATE watching movies that are dubbed in a language other than the one they were made in. It detracts from the tone of the film.

    I read this review shaking my head a little and thinking the movie sounds totally ridiculous, but the fact that you clarified at the end that it's supposed to be a little silly made it easier to understand. Strange how self-awareness makes a corny movie into a more commendable farce.

    Thanks for starting the reviews off! I'm excited to contribute, and to see what everyone else has to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I, too, hold a little bit of skepticism. I looked it up on Imdb and watched the trailer. Interestingly enough it actually got a 7 out of 10. The trailer looks good enough and it seems like it is made well enough. If I'm going to brave a horror film, though, I like ones that play off of the unknown, like Blair Witch Project, Signs, The Village, etc. Movies like this I think do a better job of scaring. But then again, perhaps this is meant to be more of an action movie, a thriller, per se, than a horror. But I commend you for stepping off of the normal path and investigating new movies! Liz and I love to do that! Though not oft with horrors. Poor Liz isn't too fond of the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fake real shows have never appealed to me, but maybe watching it with all of my siblings would make it more credible- or laughable?

    ReplyDelete