Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Snowing and the Season


Today was our first day of snow, and in our family that signifies the beginning of the holiday season. Does it seem a little odd that we are carving our Halloween pumkins while watching Santa Claus is Comin' to Town? Ahh, the fear the winter warlock inspires in the little ones. My kids love it, and I love the tradition of it.
Mom and Dad, one of the greatest things ever was your ability to create amazing traditions. Christmas being one of my favorites, but traditions at every holiday. I have lots of fun memories, but I wonder what everyone else remembers? I'll add my thoughts later, but I wanted to ask everyone to post what they remember as family traditions? What ones will you take on with you in your families, and what new ones are starting?
Egg Nog?? :)

7 comments:

  1. We have begun an unfortunate Clay Aiken tradition in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It snowed here today too for the first time. We had on "Let it snow" and danced around in the kitchen. Traditions to remember: New Years Eve treats, Valentines cookies and door bell presents, green pancakes for St. Patrick's day, The whole Fourth July shabang, school clothes shopping, ice cream at the Purple Turtle, birthday dinners out to eat, the lamp ghost that had cowboy boots, Grandma's noodles and Mom's china with pilgrim salt pepper shakers (don't forget the red Kool-aid), the whole Christmas season from the tree picking to Christmas Eve to eggnog in the wooden cups to Carpenters (you know, everything). TRADITION. I am sure there are more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and our high was 80 degrees. Good traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80 DEGREES! Seriously, you need to move...out west, that is!

    I love dad's orages, not that I ever ate them. ANd the cereal box in the christmas stocking. It didn't always happen, but every now and then dad would leave envelopes with $ for the girls to go shopping after christmas. as a teenager I thought that was THE NEATEST thing ever.

    Our family does the Carpenters, all day today!

    I am trying to figure out the Clay Aiken tradition...do you dress up like Clay Aiken, does he have good Christmas music, what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you get snow and not us?!!!? It has been freezing here but just rainy, not snowy. I love the traditions!!! Especially christmas ones. I've tried to keep up with most of them but it's been a lot of fun coming up with our own as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you guys are making life worth while. It was fun doing things for you kids and now it's fun hearing how you enjoyed them!! What about passing the nativity around while we told the Christmas story or reading stories every night with the count down candle burning? You girls may of been to old when we started that one. Loves to you all, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too old for that one, sorry. I bet that the boys don't remember mom making the candy train. I don't even remember getting to eat it, but i remember wanting to sneak a gum drop or a popcorn smoke stack!

    ReplyDelete