Monday, January 20, 2014

What am I to understand about God's role in the scriptures?



I was reading in 2 Nephi 31 and Nephi talks about how Christ speaks to him and expounds the doctrine of baptism.  Then, in verse 15, he says that he hears the voice of the Father, testifying that what Christ says is true.

So it got me thinking about God the Father and his appearances in scripture.  From what I could find, he mostly appears to testify of Christ and the truthfulness of Christ's teaching (Matt 17:15; John 1:29-34; JSH 1; 3 Ne. 11:7).  The only real time that I could find when the Father is said to expound doctrine is when Christ speaks of the Father's teachings (of course Genesis/Moses are filled with God the Father doing things and teaching and whatnot).

I understand that Christ and God the Father are so inextricably linked that to worship one is to worship the other and to know one is to know the other, but why is it that God doesn't speak more about his doctrines in the scriptures, instead deferring to Christ?  If God is to be that one Eternal Being that we ultimately worship, why did he set up a plan where we worship him through another person? (Is it like the Aaron-Moses spokesperson deal? Maybe because of the Fall God works more through Christ?) I have always found this interesting and would love to hear any thoughts/scriptures/teachings you have developed or found on the subject.

4 comments:

  1. I think it does have to do with the Fall, in a way, maybe. We know that Christ is our advocate with the Father, that he makes a case for us on our behalf, so I think it's logical to conclude that that goes the other way as well (he speaks to us on the Father's behalf). I wonder if it also has to do with Christ's role as creator of the physical world. Because of his involvement in that venture (for lack of a better word), and because he is our Savior, both on a collective and an individual level, it makes sense to me that he would be allowed a good deal of involvement in our affairs and the affairs of the world. I don't think this signifies a lack of concern or love on the Father's part, but rather speaks more to the affection that Christ has for us, and his complete partnership with the Father. I'm sure there are deeper issues at play as well, and maybe someone else can figure those out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh says to look up "divine investiture of authority" in Jesus the Christ. He says it explains things really well. Liz's comment is really great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a lot of this, is just too in-depth for my little brain that I cant really handle deep thoughts - I'm just more of a person who enjoys reading about everyone's opinions so I apologize for not saying anything meaningful but impressive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete