Monday, July 1, 2013

Recommendation - Zombies!

Are you looking for a happy movie that will make you feel good about the world? Look no further than Warm Bodies. … Really? “Feel good about the world” in a zombie movie? Yes, it’s true. Read on, friends!

Premise: R is a zombie whose monotonous life consists of wandering around an airport with fellow zombies, and occasionally going hunting for food (i.e. living humans). But when he encounters Julie, a human survivor, he notices that he is starting to change, experiencing phenomena that are usually reserved only for humans, not the undead. Is there still hope for this lifeless human-devourer to return to his former self? As Mike would say: “Ba na NA!”

(A quick interjection in the interest of full disclosure. There is some mild language in Warm Bodies. Mild in the sense that the words are not used in a vulgar way or as substance words – nouns, verbs, etc. – but as expletives, much in the same way as you or I would exclaim, “Shoot!”, “Darn!” or “Holy Hannah!” in fear, surprise, or frustration. The difference being, of course, that the characters in this film choose different sounds to express these emotions. But if you are uncomfortable with that, then maybe disregard this recommendation.)

Why I Liked It: Despite the fact that Warm Bodies probably falls into the teen supernatural romance genre, I enjoyed it for its deeper themes (and this is where the “feel good about the world” stuff comes in). It is unapologetically earnest in a culture that eschews earnestness in favor of snark and cynicism, but has just enough humor that it’s not sappy (this is also a good description of Modern Family, which I enjoy for the same reason). It touches on themes of the spectrum of human experience, and at its heart, it’s about the redemptive and transformational power of love. And isn’t that really what life itself is all about?

5 comments:

  1. Dad and I saw this movies. I had a great time. Dad thought it was rather silly. It is very entertaining, and I laughed A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley and I were interested, but wary. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote this off the first commercial I saw and shook my head and laughed. I never would have thought to watch until Liz gave a recomendation. If Liz says it's good, I must try:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Jen read this post last week while they were visiting us, and she said the same thing. "Oh, Liz...you liked Warm Bodies??"
    I will admit it is a little corny, but it's an intentional, self-aware kind of corniness, to add to the lightheartedness of the movie. Plus it has a kind of indie film feel, which I love. I will add the disclaimer, though, that I tend to have a different taste in movies than most people, so I will admit that this one might not be for everyone. But if it helps, Mike loved it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I just watched the trailer, and laughed out loud again. I REALLY REALLY liked this movie and would even watch it again maybe even buy it. Do yourself a favor, walk into the unknown and have a good time. MOM

    ReplyDelete