Monday, April 23, 2012

Children Contending

While in Relief Society yesterday, these scriptures came up. I raised my hand and commented that these were a good ones to refer to when teaching your children not to fight or have bad feelings. You can't argue with a scripture. So I was wondering this morning if you all are aware of them and maybe it would help?? It's something we need to remember even as we grow older. We are a family, we all have faults, we cannot judge, we must love and support always. Have a great day, Mom

Mosiah 4:14,15,16
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil,...15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another. 16 And also ye yourselves will succor those theat stand in need of your succor...

I remember Pres. Hinkley saying "We can lower our voices a few decibels. We can return good for evil. We can smile when anger might be so much easier. We can exercise self-control and self-discipline and dismiss any affront levied against us."
“Brothers and sisters, boys and girls, we can all be a little kinder, a little more patient, a little more helpful. We can all reach out to the very many who are in distress for any number of reasons. We can replace anger with love. We can put selfishness out of our lives. "

I looked up "be a little kinder" on the church web site. Pres. Hinkley used it in 14 talks. Must be important.

We need to teach ourselves then our children. Now I want you to share your ideas for creating love and patience in your homes. Sons and Daughters in laws, what have your parents done? Well, that's Mom's sermon for the day. You don't get many of these so take heed. Loves....

7 comments:

  1. I am considering the fact that I have no idea the context behind this post as a good thing . . . or a naive thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto Greg

    And I think singing "love at home" loudly is always a good way to create a great spirit in your home.

    Or send the kids all away to school.

    Or lock yourself in the bathroom and then you can claim innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a serious note though- in my mind it's all about example. I don't often see Heavenly Father lecture, example seems to be the way he and Christ taught. So how can I expect my family to be good if I don't? Doesn't always work but it does help me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No content behind this post. I just was not a great example and am trying to help you by what I've learned in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice mom. It is really important to keep anger out of the family. I have seen the effect it can have and it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, well now I feel bad that my thought was exapmle. Soryr mom, wasn't even implying- it never crossed me mind- and I think you were a great example of many things! it's just something i am trying with my kids. Conversly, the other kids can watch and if I fail misserably, I would suggest NOT using example and try some other method. Kinda glad I have a seperation with dane, I can change things up if the other three go weird!

    ReplyDelete