Friday, March 31, 2017

Tool Recommendation - Tools for Life

So I've been wanting to post a blog post about tools, but I haven't found the time. But I wanted to share a recent discovery (yes, regarding power tools) that I think anyone who plans to buy any power tools in the future should know.

I spent the first five or six years after college investing in power tools. Nothing fancy. A drill, router, saws, etc. etc. Unfortunately I was enticed by low prices to buy at them at Harbor Freight. After three or fours years, all of these tools have died. Depressing. I had to buy new tools. (Great for new tools, but not for the wallet....) Now don't get me wrong, Harbor Freight tools are better than nothing. But they don't last. But is it worth it to save and buy more expensive brands? Usually I'd say no, except for two words: "Lifetime Warranty."
                                   

I recently discovered that Ridgid brand power tools bought at Home Depot qualify for what's called a "Lifetime Service Agreement." Which means if it breaks, they fix it. If the battery dies, they replace it. Until you YOU die. Which means that new drill that I bought may be a bit more expensive than Harbor Freight, but it's still cheaper than many other brands and I never have to buy another one. They have drills, routers, sanders, saws, and pretty much everything one might need.

So next time you need to buy a power tool, consider buying the last one you'll ever have to buy. It may be a bit more now, but it'll save you in the long run!


No comments:

Post a Comment