Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Bible: How should we study it?

Query.  We believe the Bible is the word of God ... as far as it is translated correctly.  I enjoy reading the Bible very much and feel inspired when I read the stories.  Lately, I have been trying to study more deeply, picking apart sentences and phrases, looking up definitions, etc.  When I try to do that, however, I wonder, with possible mistranslations, how much can I focus on how a word fits into a phrase or what a word may have originally meant?  If that word is mistranslated, is it all for naught?

I would appreciate anyone's stories, tips, or testimonies on how I can deeply study the Bible without fear.  Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. If you are completely unsure of a meaning or word, Cross reference it in two or three places if you can. Bible dictionary, Book of Mormon, Internet. Also, anyone who's been a sunday school teacher at length will have a plethera of knowledge to share. There should be a LDS chat or Forum you can throw things out at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commentaries are also another good way to understand it and there are lots out there. Also it really helps to understand the background of what is going on in the lives of the people at that time. Knowing the political dilemmas, customs and traditions of the children brings a lot of understanding. One of my favorite professors at BYU Idaho has a wealth of knowledge on his website. http://emp.byui.edu/satterfieldb/ I've used him a lot in studying the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great way is to ponder and pray and hopefully your mind may be enlightened. The answer doesn't always come during study though. Good Luck Mom

    ReplyDelete