Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Family Reunion Update


This post is long, so here are the highlights if you don't have time to read it all:

- I propose we forego the talent show due to a lack of time
- Below is the proposed schedule
- My idea of what the candy jar rules should be is below

Talent Show

So here's the rub: Logistically, I just don't see how we can do all of the things I listed in the previous post.  There just isn't time enough to pack it all in on Saturday, especially because I fell there should be plenty of free time for the cousins to play, talk, and interact without structured activity. So ... I am thinking we forego the talent show.  It sounds like Alisha was the only one that had some real concrete plans as to what her children were going to do, so maybe it won't be that big a deal?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Proposed schedule

So this is how I am thinking things will happen:

Friday:  Because people coming at all times, I don't there is any need to plan any activity for the night, as people will want to chat and hug and what not.  Those that are going to be there on Friday during the day can plan something together if they so please (or I can plan something, but I don't really know who all will be there so I am not sure if that will be effective).

Saturday:  I know that lighting for pictures is important, and from what Hayley told me, the best time for photographs is either just after dawn or just before dusk.  Neither of those times seems terribly practical, however, as it is either too early or too late.  So, I suggest the following schedule:

Wake up (whenever)

8:00-9:00 a.m. - Breakfast

9:00-10:00 a.m. - Post-breakfast chaos - Get ready and take photographs

10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. - Free time/guess amounts in candy jars/etc. etc.

12:00-12:30 p.m. - Lunch

12:30-1:30 p.m. - Right after lunch - Candy jars

1:30-2:30 - Free time

2:30-3:15 p.m. - Grandma's tea party

3:15-5:00 p.m. - Free time

5:00-6:00 p.m. - Dinner

6:00-7:30 p.m. - Grandpa's bingo

7:30-8:30 - Wind down, put kids in bed

8:30-whenever - Adult social hour (without adult beverages)

What do you all think?  Of course, times don't have to be rigid.

Candy jars

Additionally, from what I recall, candy jars can really take a significant chunk of time.  I propose that (if we haven't already done this in the past), we be prepared prior to starting with a list of each jar and who got the closest to that jar.  Also, I propose the following rules, if no simpler rules have been previously established:

1) If you have no jar and you guess the closest on the current jar up for bid, you get that jar
2) If you already have a jar and you guess the closest on the current jar up for bid, you can either keep your current jar or relinquish control of your previously won jar
3)  If you keep your current jar, the person who guessed the next-closest on the current jar up for bid wins; if that person already has a jar, he has the same two choices as the original winner
4) If the original winner chooses to relinquish control of the previously won jar and take the current jar up for bid, the relinquished jar goes to the next-closest on the current jar up for bid; if that person already has a jar, he has the same two choices as the original winner
5) So on until the current jar up for bid lands in the hands of someone who didn't previously have a jar

I haven't done this for a couple of years, so you will have to let me know if I am way off.  I would like to be prepared prior to the reunion so that everything can run smoothly and with minimal effort.  Thanks!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Here are my two cents worth. I propose a fire with marshmallows Friday night for anyone who is interested. Also, I think it a good idea if Mom and Dad invest in a couple of picnic benches so we can all eat outside. There is just no way we are going to fit in the house to eat. If we can do the bingo outside too it would be nicer than sitting in the basement. Lastly I am going to do a scavenger hunt with the children during the 3:15-5:00 free time. If anyone else wants to plan a structured activity(such as a water fight) for them at that time that's great. I really want all the cousins to use thier free time for being together. Not separating into groups and doing their own thing like they normally do. I know that Emily and Avery don't play with the cousins unless it's a structured activity. I know the little boys love to group together and that Brook and Brant don't want to play with the little one's. They might be in charge of an activity for them? I don't know what Greg's kids will do. So if we plan fun things for them during this free time, they will most likely all be together. I really would love to be able to bond as siblings somehow too. Lot's of times I feel that I am so busy taking care of my kids that I don't even get time to visit. Hummmm.....I think about something. Anyway, these are just ideas. No pressures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of roasting marshmallows, Steph! Spreading out for meals also sounds like a wise plan.

    Greg, as far as my thoughts on your schedule, etc: I think the schedule looks great, though we did do pictures last year just before dusk I believe, and it seemed to work fine, so if that's something Hayley feels strongly about, I do think we could make it work (those with kids who have bedtimes may have other ideas though, so maybe not). The candy jar rules seem to be pretty much what we've done every time I've been there, but I'm not really sure what you mean by "be prepared with a list of each jar and who got closest to that jar"? The most time consuming part, I think, is going around and guessing, but I don't really have any ideas on how to expedite that.
    Getting super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me, although it is not even close to long enough! Wish we could do it all week! Thanks for all the work you're doing Greg and please let me know if I can help with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think after breakfast will be just fine for pictures. Steph, fire on Friday night sounds great! We are in charge of dinner that night, so we can incorporate. I am wondering if the scavenger hunt might be better placed between 10:00 and 12:00? That way, if kids want to do water stuff (trampoline, water balloons, etc.) it will be at 3:00 when it is warmer? In fact, why doesn't everyone bring water guns etc. and I will provide water balloons so that we can have a water fight? That sounds super fun.

    When I said "have a list of each jar and who got closest," I just meant everything is counted well ahead of time and we have a list for each jar of the closest, next closest, etc. etc. etc. I am sure that is how it is always done, but just kind of thinking out loud.

    Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally don't think we should forgo the talent show. I think it's important because it's a unique part of the family reunion, an idea that Greg and Hayley came up with, and it will help to keep the reunion feeling unique and new. While all of the traditions are fun and necessary, I also think it's important to mix things up and try new activities. I was planning on doing something, just didn't know what yet. Perhaps dance a jig? I know I had some woodwork I wanted to come put on display....

    As for the schedule, I think it looks good. I really think we could do one of those activities on Friday night to loosen up the schedule on Saturday. Last I heard most people would be there by Friday afternoon. But then again I haven't heard much in a while so I could be way off.

    Just my two cents. Thanks, Greg and Hayley!

    (Deleted the last comment because of a glaring typo I failed to remove...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honest to goodness... this is the THIRD TIME that I have typed this and it keeps erasing! I will now copy it before trying to save ;)
    I think the schedule will be great however you do it, but I do have a couple of thoughts that we've found over the last few years~
    Grandpa's bingo is one of the kids favorite things, and they are at a FEVER PITCH to get to it. They like to touch and admire all of the items, and to have that put off until the end of the day sat. might cause their little heads to explode! Maybe doing it right after pictures would help to alleviate some of that stress. they often win things that they want to play with, and the big kids/adults like to eat the food they win!
    On that Same note- candy jars are also nice to get out of the way earlier in the afternoon/day. It's fun to share and eat them all weekend.
    I figure that whatever you decide to do will be wonderful, just some thoughts!
    Thanks for all of your work, we appreciate it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. let's forgo grandma's tea party so that we can have time for the talent show I think that will be much better and not so much stress for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way...we need things for grandpas bingo. I have a lot of art supplies for the kids but really nothing for boys and the men. Any help would be appreciated. Use your creativity and garage selling skills to come up with something fun. if you have anything useful at home that you think you want to part with, bring it. Also the little girls loves makeup. And bubble baths.

    ReplyDelete