Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Family Reunion Details


Only two weeks away! Time flies!

This is a long post, but please respond answering the following questions, as detailed below:

1)  Who in your family is going to present a live talent, and what will the talent be?
2)  Would any part of your family like to/be willing to camp in the yard for Friday and Saturday night?
3)  What questions does anyone have about logistics?  Any pitfalls we are overlooking?

We wanted to make sure we answered everyone's questions and gave everyone an idea of the planned schedule, sleeping arrangements, etc.  So, as far as the schedule goes, these are the activities we are definitely planning on:

1) Candy jars
2) Grandpa's Bingo
3) Grandma's tea party
4) Family talent show
5) Family pictures

Unfortunately, I was not there last year, so I don't have a great idea of how long each of these things will take.  Additionally, I am not sure who is going to present what at the talent show, so I don't know how long to plan for that.  Could each of you give me some idea of who in your family is going to present a live talent as opposed to a stationary talent so I can kind of guestimate how long the talent show will take?

I hope that doing all of the above activities won't pack the day so much that we don't have free time to just chat, let the kids play, etc.  Any input would be appreciated.

As far as sleeping arrangements, we have six bedrooms and five families that need sleeping places (Jenny, Stephani, Jeff, Greg, and Mike, right? I am of course assuming that Brian is not planning on staying over night, but please chime in, Brian if I am wrong).  That would leave one family with two rooms.  Naturally, Jenny, she being the eldest and having the most children, would get first dibs.  However, I have no preference as to who occupies the "extra" bedroom.

Alternatively, I thought it would be fun for whoever wanted to camp outside.  We could have a fire and tents out in the circle and have a pseudo campout.  This would free up some space inside the house and let everyone spread out a little bit.  If you would like to camp out please let me know.



Thanks! Can't wait to see everyone!


13 comments:

  1. So Emma is going to sing her song from voice lessons, Isaac is going to do tricks on the tramp and Jaxson wants to show how he can make paper airplanes. Not sure if Jules and I are going to do anything yet. I know that I will be staying at my house but I would like to have a space where I can put kids down so I can stay later with the family and then when people are ready to go to bed I'll take my kids home. Would some of you who don't have kids mind if I put my kids to sleep in your rooms just to start out the night? I also thought that it would be nice to have a temple night. I don't know when everyone is going to be here but if we could do one on Thursday night, I'll find babysitters for the kids, I think it would be a really neat experience. I've never been through a session with a lot of you and I think it would be a really great way for our family to get closer. Just a thought. Thanks for all the work you are doing Greg! You are wonderful! Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family in the temple together = not reverent. ;) Mostly kidding! Good idea. We won't be able to do it, but I think it sounds wonderful. My kids don't mind sleeping in a tent, so only one room is needed for us, Blair is "living" in the wolf room, so there really isn't room for small fries to sleep on the floor. Alisha, I think that I will probably be putting Dane to sleep in our room rather then the tent or else I would say GO for it when putting kids to sleep. I believe that the kids are working on a talent for the talent show (taking a little bit of coercion on mom's part, so we'll see). Probably 4 minutes MAX. I will let you know if we come up with any more. What time are you planning for family pictures- that seems to be the big thing as we all want to have awake children not nap tired kids...and it takes some prep to make sure hair and makeup and clean clothes are on, but timed just right so they don't end up in the sand box with them.
    Thanks for all of your planning! Would you mind reminding what meal we are in charge of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I commented earlier but I guess it didn't save! We won't be there till probably 9 or 10 on Thursday night. We would obviously prefer to sleep in the house, since we'll have Bailey with us and she doesn't do great in a tent. But we are totally willing to make camping work, if another family feels like they need that room.
    As far as allotting time, last year we planned one hour for family photos (enough time to get pictures of the whole group, as well as photos of individual families), and an hour and a half each for Grandpa's Bingo and Candy Jars. We also didn't plan these activities right before scheduled mealtimes, so that the meal-makers wouldn't feel rushed or anything.
    I'm not sure about talents from us yet, but I'll talk to Mike about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and candy jars. How many does everyone need to bring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz: same problem. Mine didn't save either. I'm really sad we likely won't be there. Don't know if James will be off oxygen by then and frankly we don't know how ready he'll be for the craziness of it all. Temple night was a really goo idea, Alisha. We would totally go with you if we could. I'm really sad to miss the talent show too! Will somebody please record it for us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. One candy jar per member of your family. So you guys would need to bring five, Mike and I bring two, Jen brings six, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand your thinking Bri- but I would say that babies are pretty dang resilient... parent's less so! We will miss you and understand if you can't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, you pack the oxygen, I'll pack the insulin and both our families will be set. CrAzY is right!!!! The baby will be o.k. All he cares about is if he gets fed and held:) The parents, as Jenny said, get hit the hardest. We will miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone please pack a jar full of peantus instead of candy for Sarah!!!! Ha ha. Or pepperoni, or cheese, or jello, or eggs!!! She will looooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Sarah might have to fight me for the jar full of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephani I will totally make a jar full of string cheese! What is her favorite cheese?! Can she have other kinds of nuts? like Cashews? those are my favorite nuts mmm. Also - what other kinds of snacks can she have and like? Jeff and I are thinking about more healthy things that everyone can have so that way Sarah doesnt feel left out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and as far as a talent show... I dont know what me and Jeff will do, we will have to figure something out. I enjoy watching more than anything though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh sorry one more comment, I would love temple night!!! If I can convince Jeff we should be up Thursday night, Maybe making it about 7:30!!!

    ReplyDelete