Monday, November 5, 2012

News Review

I can't pretend that what interests me will interest everyone, but what more do I have to review than that which I spend a lot of time doing? I read a lot of news--more than what can probably be considered healthy (especially around election time). I'm going to conduct a basic review of some of my favorite news sources. Some are common, others maybe not so much.

I'll start with:



(www.realclearpolitics.com)
This website has been particularly fun during the election. I visit the site multiple times daily--mostly for the polls. There are about as many political polls out there as there are white people voting for Romney, but the results are so divergent it can be hard to make heads or tales of them. RCP has a running average of all the presidential polls in the last week and tracks them on their home page. Furthermore, they take running averages in every state and display them on a handy map. You it's been much easier for me to tell who is ahead and who is behind this election by using this tool. On a broader base, the website is somewhat politically neutral with a slight slight lean to the right. Its content tends not to feel more analytical than political. The reading is sometimes more dense as a result, but definitely more rich.

(www.drudgereport.com)
The drudge report is only for those who want a constant feed of unabashedly biased right wing reporting. Matt Drudge put the website together in the mid nineties and it hasn't changed much since then (it looks like the old DOSS operating system we had on our first computer). Drudge reads a ton of news and then posts the articles he likes on his website with charged headlines. I also cruise the sight multiple times a day as it updates constantly. It feeds my inner conservative monster but I find if I spend too much time on it that I get really fed up with how biased it is.






The Chris Matthews Show, The Shean Hanity Show, the O'Reilly Factor, and the Rachel Maddow show are all to be avoided in my opinion  Matthews and Maddow on the extreme left, Hanity and O'Reilly on the extreme right. Being extreme is not what is bothersome about these shows, it is the apparent hatred for the other side that seems to infect all of them. In fairness, O'Reilly isn't quite as bad as the others, but each seems to be so set in their viewpoints that their only goal is to tear down the other side down at all costs. This kind of reporting is not news, it is hate mongering.



(www.news.google.com)
I'm sure everyone knows about this one, so I won't spend a lot of time on it, but Google's entire existence is based on finding and compiling data. Since it is a very mathematical process, it is also pretty unbiased. After I read Drudge, I often go here to find out what the "real world" is reading so I can understand what the average person is consuming. This helps me to develop a picture of how they view the world so I can understand a little better why people in America act stupidly when it comes to politics.

The Economist

(www.economist.com)
The economist is good for deep coverage of international topics. They will be running stories on things you probably haven't heard of, but they will make sure you understand why they matter. It is not politically motivated, but objective in its approach. As a result, coverage is not emotional or charged and the non-political junky may even call it dry *gasp*. Read at your own risk



(www.npr.org)
I know there are those of you who will say that NPR is an extension of a left-leaning liberal government, but I would doubt anyone spends more time listening than me. I find the reporting relatively unbiased and somewhat more detailed than I get in some of my reading. Certainly there are some boring reports on the mating habits of Alaskan Polar bears, but if you can get through those, I think you'll find valuable perspective on national and international issues.

I'm always looking for new places to cruise though, so in your comments, I'm most interested in what YOU like to read and watch .



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Whoops, I accidentally posted before I finished writing!)

    Thanks for the reviews, Brian! I'm kind of avoiding news and social media until after the election frenzy dies down, but I'll definitely check some of these out afterwards! (NPR in particular I should probably pay more attention to.) I get most of my news from CNN, because I like a wide variety of news, without having to go too in depth. Because most news is bad, even heartbreaking, news these days, I try to steer clear of the specifics. So on CNN, I can just browse through the headlines to get an idea of what's going on, and if there is anything I want to read in greater detail, I can. I used to think they favored the left a little too much, but recently I've seen a lot more unbiased coverage. Plus they have their little uplifting videos and stories to temper the negativity of the rest of the news, so I enjoy that too.

    Mike also has a subscription to Time magazine, which I like to flip through after I've read everything in my monthly Reader's Digest.

    And on a lighter note, I like Fark.com, where readers submit their own headlines for various stories. I also enjoy reading The Onion occasionally, because I get a weird sort of enjoyment from the comments of people who don't get that it's a satirical news source. I go to these sites sometimes when I feel burdened by news I've read, to help me take life a little less seriously and give me a mood uplift.

    Maybe my news-following habits make me less intelligent or informed than some people, but I've discovered that I'd rather be happy than aware of everything going on all the time. Sometimes [partial] ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How timely! Like Liz, I mostly consume from CNN. I don't have a terrible amount of time to read articles, and I wish I did so that I could be more informed.

    I love NPR. I listen to it every day on my way to and from work and I feel enriched when I listen.

    I also like to go to FactCheck.org to check my sources on stuff. Oh, and Snopes has helped me defraud offending chain e-mails on many an occasion.

    Thanks Brian! Appreciate the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have sworn that I responded to this, but apparently it didnt. So anyways I didnt realize that there were so many different places to go look up all this info. Personally... I just am not very involved with a lot of politics and other news info. Most of the stuff I get is from other family, FB, or the radio. Other than that I rarely check out local news. I have used the economist for my english papers :) So these are some good reliable sources that I should be able to use for future papers, thanks!

    ReplyDelete