Thursday, April 21, 2011

So you want to help with family history?

If you care not for family history, ignore this post (and possibly repent).

Since moving to Idaho Falls, I have gotten the itch to take some names to the temple.

Unfortunately, I have taken on a MASSIVE project with our family history that consumes me almost entirely. I have to finish it before I try to research more names. In the end, it will make it SO MUCH easier to research.

I have began what I call "THE ULTIMATE RESEARCH LOG" (ominous, huh?). I am logging EVERY single piece of information from every single resource I have collected over the years into one giant Excel sheet. This will make the information incredibly more concise and it will be easier to transfer from person to person and generation to generation.

Unfortunately . . . it takes forever. It is incredibly tedious. I have been working for months and I just got to the last name "Bench."

So, here is my proposition. If anyone would like to be more involved in researching family history, you can help me! I was thinking that I could e-mail whoever wants an excel sheet and one document. The person would then analyze the document, record the pertinent information, and return it to me.

If you are interested, I would be happy to explain more fully over the telephone what I mean. Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Oh!! I love family history. You just have to catch the vision. We were family history consultants in Alaska and had to take all kinds of classes and stuff. Unfortunately it was at a time when I had two babies at the same time and I could never do anything. I just need direction and someone to lead. Thank you. e-mail me whatever you need help with. Just give me more than one document though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help if you want. I have plenty of time. I don't have much experience with it, and I'm not a Bean by birth, but I'd love to help if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to help, I'm just afraid that I would do it wrong and mess everything up. You'll have to point in the right direction but I would love to be involved. I've wanted to do it for years honestly but there is SOOO much I just didn't really know where to start. Thanks for instigating it Greg. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love paper work. Alas, when it comes to family history I am the black sheep of the family---so I had better volunteer, this may be the only time I do anything. I actually got a D in my geneology/family history class at BYU-I becuase I couldn't figure out how to find a new names (that, and I couldn't figure out what a cousin twice removed is!). PLEASE send me some! I will probably mess it up though...
    just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in bro. I'll do what I can. I have always wanted to help but you and Alisha have done so much that I don't really know where to start or what to do so this will give me a chance to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!! So many people willing to help. I have already sent some stuff out (Stephani has the hand of it), but I will try to find time to send out more!!!!

    ReplyDelete