Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mom's candy train

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a free scrapbook

Years ago before most of you can remember, Mom made a candy train for Christmas.  After Sarah was born I asked mom for the directions.  We have made it a tradition to make one each Christmas with the girls.  They love this time with the family and excitedly make their way through the day eager to put the train together.  Yes, it is messy and frustrating.  But after a few years of trial and error we actually had little problems this year and the train looks presentable. This smile box contains Mom's directions and some pictures of our night.  So: put on some Christmas music, get really organized, have no expectations of a beautiful train, and have fun.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, that train brings about feelings of frustrated desire. I remember wanting to eat the train, or steal a small gum drop off. I don't know if we ever DID get to eat it, but for the weeks it sat on the top of the piano it was an annoyance to every child.

    Glad that you are adding to your children's unfullfilled desire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those feelings exactly. Our train is filled with chocolate the kids can eat. They know that after Christmas day they can break it and eat it as they please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember wanting to eat it too!! I don't remember her doing it when we got older though, or did she? It seemed like it was kinda replaced with the grahm cracker houses which were a blast!! I never knew how to make it though. Thanks for sharing Steph!! What a fun tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my family doing a ginger bread house... ok well usually was grahm crackers. O soo many memories. that looks great steph!!!

    ReplyDelete